Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Special Education Advice Hop


This doesn't need to be anything fancy.  Mine basically looks like this:

 
Sorry, for not having pictures...My school is closed for summer.  My students choose a prize from a board (mine has 25-30 choices) and place it on the large velcro on the right.  (I have actually had students write and draw their own idea of prizes and one who placed objects there.)  Most of my students have 2 pieces of velcro at the bottom which shows how many work jobs they need to complete to get their prize.  (A few students have had to begin with 1:1 work to prize ratio.)  We use plastic circles (usually for bingo marking) with velcro attached to indicate when a student has completed work.  When they get two 'red dots', they get their prize for 10 minutes (we have timers everywhere).  Most students do fine when the timer goes off.  One or two over the year have needed countdown reminders (3 minutes left, Johnny...1 minute left, Johnny, etc.).

This works so well for students who need a visual.  I can't begin to count how many times I have said, "What are you working for?"  The student will typically look at their prize and get back to work.  :)

Feel free to ask questions!  Sorry for lack of pictures!  I hope I described it well enough.

Christi


15 comments :

  1. Thank you for linking up! I love this idea. What types of prizes worked as good motivators for your students? I am still trying to decide what behavior management system I want to use.

    Jamie
    Tales of a Carolina Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use just about anything and everything that seems to motivate my students (including the class guinea pig). Bubbles are always a big hit, iPads, drawing, science is a popular choice (basically a science type center with a lot of fun things - magnifying glasses, magnets, goggles, an old pharmacy lab coat), listening center, sand box, books, legos (I brought them from home since my kids weren't using them), shaving cream writing, and anything that anyone shows interest in really.

      Delete
  2. I came over from the blog hop. Great reinforcement system. I had desks for my students last year with a reinforcement chart, but my desks became more of a gross motor manipulative than a work space. Since I'm going to TK-2 next year I'm going to do away with the desks. I found some old white boards in a freebie pile in the staff room. I'm thinking about making those into portable reinforcement boards. I got a small binder for my student who is a thrower.

    Erin
    You AUT-a Know

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopping by on my way through the blog hop. Great advice! I use a very similar reinforcement system in my classroom. My kiddos have to earn 5 pennies during the group in order to cash in for their reinforcer. Works great!
    Pam
    MrsPSpecialties

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the visuals! I use a first/then board and first/next/then with some of my students but I like the working for board. I'll have to incorporate that more next year!
    Brie - Breezy Special Ed

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blog is adorable! I also teach a multi-age bunch, K-5! So glad I found you through the hop! Thanks for the advice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Building a blog and starting on TPT were on my must do list for the summer. I think that special ed teachers can be at a disadvantage because we are often the only one on campus. I hope together we sped bloggers can learn a lot!

      Delete
  6. I found you on the sped blog hop. I love your advice. I will be going into my 2nd year of teaching. Even though we work towards things, I never really thought about putting one out for each student. Very good idea! I am a new follower!

    -Tasha
    A Tender Teacher for Special Needs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad to have you along on my new journey!

      Delete
  7. We all need a reinforcement for working! =) Mine is summer.

    This is a great reminder for the students to stay on task.

    Kelly
    A View Into My Classroom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that we build reinforcment into our life. I hang notes from coworkers and parents on my wall to look back on.

      Delete
  8. I found you on the blog hop also! I'm loving all of these sped blogs! Reinforcement works WONDERS!!!! (even the simplest things too). I look forward to more of your posts!

    Michelle
    Miss, Hey Miss

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also use the "I am working for" in my room. It is so funny how this simple visual helps our kiddos. I have a new plan for my "I am working for" earning this year to better fit my centers. I cannot wait to see it in action and share about it on my blog. Happy I found you on the hop! I look forward to future readings.

    Natasha
    The Resource Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing your passion and ideas! I am not a blogger, but I am learning so much from the blogs that I read. I work with K-5 students that have behavior and academic struggles in Grapevine, TX.

    ReplyDelete